Become a Board member
Founded in 1983, as a temporary measure to a downturn in the economy, the Surrey Food Bank has grown to be a valued community partner in one of the most vibrant and fastest growing cities in the country.
As a non-profit, charitable organization, the Surrey Food Bank is able to operate only due to donations of money and food. These donations come from individuals, organizations and corporations as well as various fundraising efforts, such as our annual Breakfast with the Bank or from third party events run by other organizations. We receive no government funding.
The Surrey Food Bank Society is run by an elected, volunteer Board of Directors. The Board has one employee, the Executive Director, who in turn manages the staff and volunteers who manage the day-to-day operation of the food bank.
Our Mission and Vision, along with our goals are detailed on our website at SFB:About.
The Board of Directors of the Surrey Food Bank is looking for a dynamic, committed individual to join our Board of Directors in the capacity of Board Member at Large. The Surrey Food Bank promotes diversity and inclusion and reflects the community it serves.
Why join a Non-Profit Board
There are many reasons that joining a Non-Profit Board makes good sense, they include:
- Exposure to board room experience to develop your understanding of the organizational dynamics and etiquette of a Board of Directors
- Opportunities to develop collaborative, teamwork skills with a group of highly established peers
- Opportunity to develop small group conversational and presentation skills
- Exposure to budgets, strategic planning, revenue generation and public relation issues
- The chance to expand your network working with a diverse group of individuals on the board
- Gives you visibility within the community
- Provides a different perspective outside the silo of your company and industry
- Allows you to expand your view of the world and gives you a unique opportunity to leverage your skill set and give back to your community at the same time
The role of the Board it to:
- Provide leadership and oversight to the Surrey Food Bank and its activities
- Represent the interests of its Members, and the broader community as a passionate advocate.
- Ensure broad organizational accountability and transparency
- Facilitate active and meaningful external relationships.
Skills and Qualifications
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of the Surrey Food Banks’ mission and guiding principles
In addition to the skills noted above, specific experience in one or more of the following areas would be beneficial:
- Not-for-profit Governance
- Fundraising/Capital Campaigns
Time Commitment – on average 3-4 hours per month, this includes the monthly meeting. Time commitment also depends on seasonality (Christmas is a busy time) and participation on sub-committees.
Term – Directors are elected by the membership of the Surrey Food Bank Society at the first meeting following the Annual General Meeting. To ensure continuity of the Board, Directors may be elected to either one or two-year terms.
Governance Roles & Responsibilities:
Commit to the mission, vision, and values of the Surrey Food bank.
- Oversee adherence to all policies and legal requirements.
- Prepare for and participate in Board meetings, Annual General Meetings, and Extraordinary Meetings.
- Support the hiring, monitoring, and annual evaluation of the Executive Director.
- Participate in strategic planning for the organization.
- Identify and recruit prospective Board members.
- Be an ambassador for the Surrey Food Bank – this includes participation in food bank events and the leveraging of business and personal connections to increase the awareness of the food bank mission in the community.
- Keep informed about community issues relevant to the mission and objectives of the Surrey Food Bank
To apply: please submit your resume, together with a letter of interest outlining your interest in the board position via.
We thank all applicants for applying, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.